Thursday, May 7, 2009

Bike of the Moment Baby - BP's Tostapane



Hi... my name is Joel, aka bobspapa. This is my bike. Her name is Tostapane.

I’m a dork, a loser, a wash out, failure…. and I’ve never been more grateful, or happy in my life.

Ya see, a few years ago, I bought myself a monster. Three months later, I totaled said monster. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. Crashing the s2r set off a chain of events that to this very day still make we wonder why I’m so lucky.
Crash bike... meet DML’rs (soon to be DMF’rs)... become inspired to ride again... buy another monster... sell said monster... get married... receive the mostest, bestest, coolest monster ever. (and an awesome honeymoon ta boot)

The bike is... love... friendship... family... and cool as shit
Stats:

You mix a 96 750 engine, a 2000 900 frame, and bits and pieces donated from all over the globe... and voila... instant cool.

The bike is... love... friendship... family... and cool as shit

I ride it... I stare at it... I take pics of it... and... I am humbled by it.

It makes me smile... it makes me cry... and I will forever be thankful to all of you for it.

This bike is the DMF.




Bike of the Moment Baby-TJ's GT 750
The Bike
1972 750 GT, Engine number 750313. Bikes prior to engine #750404 are considered pre-production models and have sand cast engine cases vrs die case cases. (Ian Faloon "Ducati Twins").

Other early features:

Amal Carbs
Different shape on the exit ends of the Contis
Front hub is two part vrs later one part
Lockheed front brake
Colored gel coat fiberglass tank (not painted) "DUCATI" decals are stock
Boranni aluminum rims
Mechanical tach drive is seperate, not part of the bevel gear cover casting.
Not stock on this bike:

Rear shocks (I have the originals...they were scary on the road) replaced with "Works Performance"
Air cleaners (I have the stock air box and snorkel hoses but they weren't on the bike when I bought it so I never fitted them). The "stack" is for the photo shoot only. I run K&N's when I'm on the road.
SS spoke kit
Electronic ignition (have stock take-offs)
Noj fork protectors (yes they are ugly but I use this bike) Probably should have taken them off for the photos...
Mirrors (came from factory with no mirrors)
Side covers repainted
Tank stripe decals are worn off, what is left of the original decals are visible when the seat is off
I was restoring a '75' Norton 850 Commando and had only ever laced one wheel in my life so I was looking for someone to lace the Akront rims that I was fitting to the Norton. One of the Norton guys gave me the name of a guy near Akron , OH . I took the parts over to his place and was looking at his collection. I saw the GT and it blew me away. Of course I asked him that if were ever interested in selling it to give me a call...Well a short while later he did!

This is the first Ducati I ever owned. I think I bought it in 1993...or close. I paid $3750 (Turns out to be the best bike purchase I have ever made, it is worth over $15 grand now). The bike had 7150 miles on it when I picked it up. It now has over 22,000. I don't ride it a whole lot each year but I do enjoy riding it so I get some miles on it every year. Probably the most I rode it in one year was in the 3000 mile range.

It runs great, starts easy (a kick or two), sounds wonderful...It is my favorite bike that I own.

IMO, the GT is the original "Monster"




Bike of the Moment Baby-cgoS4R S4R
I got my first motorcycle when I was 4 years old. It was a restored (by my father) 50cc Indian with training wheels. I learned to ride that without training wheels before I rode a bycycle. My father and brother both raced flat-track at that time (early '80s). So, I've been on or around motorcycles my entire life. Over the years, I've had dirt bikes, street bikes, and etc. I've always been partial to twins, but have also owned the typical Japanese fours. Before my current Monster, I had a Buell XB12S that I modded extensively. It was the most fun motorcycle I've ever owned. I loved how it caughed fire, snorted, shook at idle, and once set up propperly, handled the corners like a GP bike. Unfortunately, I severely dislocated my knee last March in a mountain bike accident which severed my ACL and damaged my PCL, MCL, and meniscus. I sold the bike because I was being transferred out of state, couldn't ride it, and was a bit worried about my career. Well, after months of PT, my own exercise routine, and lots of patience, my knee is almost back to normal. So, once the bike urge kicked in again, I decided I'd go for broke and get one of the bikes I've always wanted. Though I've always wanted a Duc Superbike, I'm at the point where I like a little bit of comfort. Also, naked bikes are lean, mean, and are now my favorite type of bikes, though I love everything with two wheels and an engine. They perform like sport bikes and offer a little comfort as well.

So, needless to say, I'm back in the saddle and couldn't be happier with my choice:

2006 S4R (limited edition color combo)

Full Remus Exhaust
PowerCommander PCIII USB with custom map
Tail chop/plate relocator
Paulimoto pressure plate
Paulimoto clutch cover
Pazzo Racing levers
Bar-end mirrors
Aftermarket turn signals and etc.




Bike of the Moment Baby- Juans 2005 M1000S
Welcome to the Ducati Monster Forum, a worldwide forum for Monster owners and fans to discuss Ducati Monster related technical information and to socialize with other Monster owners and Ducati fans.
Juan saw his first Ducati Monster on a 4th of July many years ago in San Francisco and knew that the Monster was the bike for him.

Inspired by the heritage and tradition created by Miguel Galluzi, Juan wanted his monster, a 2005 1000 DS to look as close to the original as possible: Double sided swingarm, low mount exhaust and the gas tank over a naked trellis frame with some mods here and there.

The modifications began soon after Juan picked up his monster from the dealer in SF. He started with a tail chop, then placed the rear turn signals directly onto the frame, painted black around the brake light, removed the carbon canister and mounted a crank case filter.

The pipes would evolve over time, starting with a set of Arrows, later a set of Staintune and presently a set of carbon fiber Leo Vince.

Juan modified the stock triple clamp, chopped the risers, and added Motowheels' clip-ons. Reservoirs were swapped from a Multistrada based on favoring the shape of those over the stock cylinders. The stock mirrors and levers were replaced with CRG parts all around, a gift from Juan's girlfriend.

The instrument panel was relocated below the triple clamp and the headlight mounted lower at the same time.

The oil cooler and belt covers with spray painted black, the oil lines were replaced with upgrades from Hipermotor and the short starter cable with a longer one sourced from Duck-Stew. The cable and oil cooler lines were rerouted along the left of the underside of the engine.


An early experiment with a custom cut stock clutch cover unfortunately resulted in damage to the stock clutch from it's use. A slipper from Motowheels was fitted and the original open cover was redesigned to a safer and more protective layout.
Red wheel stripes were added along with a red bellypan with the intention of creating many focal areas. Juan was satisfied with the how well the bellypan complemented the bike and brought a necessary balance to his vision. Rearsets from Rosmoto were added for a bold and unique finishing touch.

Juan assures us that he is by no means done with his Monster. He says, "I believe this will be a never ending process. Some times I wonder if Migues Galluzi also had this insatiable thirst of building and modifying existing motorcycles, and this is how the Monster came to be, only to inspire Monster owners with the same motivation to persistently revise and make our very special Monsters very much our own."




Bike of the Moment Baby- Travmans 2006 M620
This is my first Ducati. It is a black 2006 620. I've been riding since 2001. I had some extra money after I bought my first house and bought a Harley. I still have and enjoy that bike which has been hopped up a bit. However, it is a heavy bike and is definitely a straight line hot-rod only. I needed a bike to satisfy my "fun in the twisties" urge. I liked the simple, beautiful and basic design of the air-cooled monsters so I bought the a low mileage 620 from someone local who had only put 800 miles on it.
The modifications I have made so far are fairly limited because I plan to eventually buy a S2R 1000 or maybe a S2R 1100 (when/if it comes out). I used the Competition Werkes tailchop kit. Very good quality. Expensive, but worth it. It is all stainless steel. I wish I hadn't waited so long to do the chop. In pictures it looks good, but in person it looks even better. The shorter rearend that aligns nicely with the exhausts is exactly the look I wanted.




Other simple & cheap mods include the following:

Cheap ebay barend mirrors
Clear Alternatives smoked brake light and turn signal lenses
Painted the belt covers and headlight brackets black
Sanded the handle bars and headlight ring to give them brushed look
Gen-Mar Bar Risers




Every time I think this bike needs more power I remind myself click down a gear & twist the throttle all the way. It is nice having a bike that I can use every bit of the throttle. I've ridden plenty of bikes where only half of the throttle needs to be used on regular rides.

No comments:

Post a Comment